Multiple monitors can improve our productivity especially when we are using a laptop. But the question is that How to connect two monitors to a laptop?
Then you come to the right place, this article has clear guidelines that how to connect two external computers to our laptop.
The best option is to choose a laptop for working but their small display can cause few problems. The connection of two-three or even four monitors to your laptop can manage your workload.
In this article, it is clearly described that How to connect two monitors to a laptop to your laptop the way you want.
Here are the details about several limitations for different connections and there is the right solution to these problems.
Multiple monitors attached to your laptop can decrease the burden of your workload. People that use this setup can tell you the advantages of these external monitors; also tell you about the difficulties without this setup.
When you want to add multiple monitors to your laptop you must have to check the capability of the hardware of your laptop and your monitor.
Whether you are using older or latest technology there is a number of solutions to extend the multiple displays.
Related Post: Best 11 Inch Laptop in 2021
General requirements for all setup
Start by checking the available ports;
- On your laptop
- On the monitors, you want to connect to your laptop
Typically you must have the following options;
- Mini display port
How to locate the ports on different devices?
- On a laptop display, ports will be on the left or right side (rarely on the backside)
- On the computer display, ports will be at the backside
- On the monitor display, ports will be at the backside sometimes on the sides.
Getting the right cable
It’s all depends upon the ports available you will need several types of cables to connect the laptop to the monitor.
Note: Second name for VGA D-sub cable and also known as analog video cable.
- First, you have to connect one end of the VGA to the VGA port on the laptop and the other end to the monitor or TV.
- Connect one end to the monitor (or TV) and the other end to the HDMI port on the computer
Note: HMDI allows transmitting to only display but also sounding.
USB-C / Thunderbolt
- Connect one end to the monitor (or TV) and the other end to the USB-C port on the computer
Note: These cables are high speed, capable of carrying data, video, sound, and other information.
- Connect one end to the monitor (or TV) and the other end to the MiniDisplay port on the computer
Note: MiniDisplay only carries video
- Connect one end to the monitor (or TV) and the other end to the DVI port on the computer
Adapters and mix-and-match cables
Mix and match cables allow you to connect a monitor to your laptop that has different types of ports.
For example, you can connect a monitor that only has an HDMI port to a laptop or computer that only has an HDI port.
In this situation, the cable has one end with an HDMI connection and the other end with and DVI port.
This is just an example, as you can find several types of cables and adaptations to almost all cases.
A variety of such types of devices/adaptors are also commonly available on the market, allow you to plug into the mini display USB or thunderbolt ports of the laptops and then plug into any type of monitor.
One of the best advantages of these portable devices is that it allows you to plug in different types of connectors, helps you in different situations, and especially useful when you are traveling from one office to another, each of them having various set-ups.
Usually, you have only one HDMI port on your laptop you require two ports for the addition of two external monitors to your computer. In this situations;
- You can use a docking station which will provide you different pots that you may require
- You can also use a display splitter or a switch splitter having two HDMI ports.
Related Post: How many Watts does a Laptop use?
Which display port is best?
If you have different ports available on your laptop and monitor then we prefer HDMI, USB/Thunderbolt because they both can convey video and sound for the internet and data.
Recommended steps in regards; How to connect two monitors to a laptop?
Note: when you turn on your laptop and connect the external monitor then it is detected by your window that something has plugged in.
When everything has been prepared then you can connect the two monitors to your laptop. For instance, I have HDMI and VGA ports on my laptops or external monitors have the cables for these ports as well;
- First of all cable of the first external monitor plug into the correct video port on your laptop. Then you have to plug the VGA cable on your monitor then into the port of your laptop.
- Then you have to plug the cable of the 2nd external monitor into the next right port on your laptop. So I attached the HDMI cable of the 2nd external monitor into the HDMI port on my computer.
- Then right-click on the empty area of the desktop of your laptop.
- If you have Windows 10, then click on the option of Display settings.
- And if you are using windows 7 or window 8 then click on the screen resolution.
- After clicking on the screen resolution, there will be three display options 1,2, and 3 in the display mode. The option of display 1 is for your laptop, the 2nd and 3rd for external monitors.
- Then click on the option of display no. 2 and then select the option of extend the desktop to this display and then click on apply.
- Now you click on the option of display 3, then you have to select the option of extending the desktop to this display in the multiple display option, click on then apply.
- Now click on the option of OK to finish all the settings. Now you are ready to use the three monitors on your laptop screen. You can change the display resolution orientation and size of items according to your requirements.
The devices having 1 or 2 display port connections; there are several options. Firstly you have to purchase a hub that split your single connection into more than two outputs.
These splitters are costly; they allow the display port to increase the power up to 2560 x 1600 and the power of the third monitor up to 1920×1200 simultaneously.
Even you bought an older computer without the working of video connections, then you require an extra port for USB for the addition of another display.
There are several devices such as DVI, HDMI, VGA converters in the market at a very reasonable price which will help you to add an extra monitor to your laptop. Window 8 picks them all converter devices automatically while window 7 needs a driver.
Thank you for reviewing. If you find it worth reading then check more blogs on our website.